Save the date!
22nd Annual Neal Taylor Nature Center Fish Derby
April 22-23, 2017
1. Current Nature Center, Park and concessionaire staff, volunteers and hosts and any of their immediate families may not participate in the Fishing Derby or in the raffle.
2. Only individuals 4 years old or older, who have paid a registration fee and have a valid DERBY ID BADGE, are eligible to win. The Derby ID Badge must be worn in a visible location above the waist during Derby fishing hours.
3. Participants must possess a valid California fishing license (except for those under 16 years of age) and follow all California Department of Fish and Game regulations. Participants must use sport fishing equipment. No use of commercial fishing devices, or fishing in restricted areas will result in immediate disqualification.
4. The Derby fishing begins at 6 a.m. on April 18, 2015 and ends at 12 noon on April 19, 2015. Contestants must fish in Cachuma Lake during the tournament hours and may fish from shore at any time during the Derby including Saturday night. A flare will be fired at the harbor to start the Derby on Saturday and to end the Derby on Sunday.
5. Each person registered in the Derby is eligible to win one of the donated door prizes exhibited in Registration Headquarters and must be present at the Sunday Awards Program to win. A person need not be present to win the raffle prizes or the guaranteed cash prizes.
6. If the lake is closed due to high winds or other weather conditions, registrants may continue to fish from shore. Check www.sbparks.org for current Wind Guidelines at Cachuma Lake.
7. Fish Registration: Present your fish (caught in Cachuma Lake) along with your Official Derby ID Badge to the officials at the Weigh-in Station during the following hours: 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 18, and 6 a.m. to 12 noon on Sunday, April 19. All tagged fish earn a prize given at the Weigh Station. Gutted fish will not be accepted for judging or qualify for prizes.
8. Any registered person who fishes from a boat containing non-registered persons 4 years or older shall be disqualified from having any catch entered into the competition.
9. Ties between fish of equal weight will be decided by the longest length. Stomach contents are subject to examination.
10. Verification of fish awards will be made by Fishing Derby officials, whose decisions will be final.
Question: Is there enough water in the lake for the fishing derby?
Answer: Yes! There is plenty of water in the lake for the fishing derby. In fact, the fishing is very good and anglers are catching limits.
Question: Is there enough water in the lake to accommodate all of the boats that show up for the derby?
Answer: Yes! It is important to know that due to the threat of quagga mussels, Cachuma Lake has a temporary 30-day quarantine and inspection of all boats except those with a Cachuma Lake Tag and kayaks/canoes. Please check for udates to the inspection protocol and to learn about off-site inspection options at www.sbparks.org
Question: Should I register for the fishing derby early?
Answer: Yes! Early registration means cost savings with the cost of registration being only $35. For ages 4-15, the cost is only $10.
Question: Can I reserve a camp site ahead of time?
Answer: Yes! Reservations can be made at www.sbparks.org/reservations
Question: Is there still wildlife seen at the lake?
Answer: Yes! The wildlife sightings have been excellent with bald eagles, mule deer, osprey, great blue heron, red-tailed hawks, and the occasional mountain lion, bobcat, and wild boar showing up.
Question: Can I rent a boat for the fishing derby?
Answer: Yes! Call the marina at 805-688-4040 for more information and to make a reservation.
It is important to know that due to the threat of quagga mussels, Cachuma Lake has a temporary 30-day quarantine and inspection of all boats except those with a Cachuma Lake Tag and kayaks/canoes. Please check for udates to the inspection protocol and to learn about off-site inspection options at www.sbparks.org